Barkeyville Borough, 5404 Pittsburgh Road, Harrisville, Pennsylvania 16038 - Ph: 814-786-7280
Who and what will asphalt pollution affect?
• Health Impacts & Loss of Property Value.
• Particulate Matter from a smokestack can travel far:
• Sensitive Populations
- Individuals with asthma and other respiratory diseases. Levels of pollutants that might not affect healthy people might cause breathing difficulties for people with asthma or other chronic lung diseases, especially children. Individuals with emphysema and chronic bronchitis may also experience a worsening of their conditions because of exposure to dust and smoke. Studies have linked particulate matter pollution to increased risk of hospitalizations for respiratory disease, asthma attacks, and respiratory mortality.
- Individuals with cardiovascular disease. People with heart disease might also experience symptoms such as shortness of breath or chest tightness. Studies have also linked particulate pollution to increased risk of hospitalizations for cardiovascular disease, heart attacks, and cardiovascular mortality.
- The elderly. The elderly are more likely to have pre-existing lung and heart diseases, and therefore are more susceptible to health effects from exposure to particle pollution.
- Children. Children, even those without pre-existing illness or chronic conditions, are susceptible to air pollution because their lungs are still developing, and they are often engaged in vigorous outdoor activities, making them more sensitive to pollution than healthy adults. Studies have shown that in children, particulate pollution is associated with increased episodes of coughing and difficulty breathing, and decreased lung function.
- Smokers. People who smoke, especially those who have smoked for many years, generally have reduced lung function and may be affected by dust and smoke exposure. Smokers are also less likely to recognize and report symptoms from exposure to irritant chemicals than nonsmokers.
This is an unofficial website created and maintained by a volunteer citizen on behalf of the general public.
All of the information may not be accurate or up to date.
Barkeyville, Pennsylvania; Barkeyville Borough; Barkeyville Boro; Venango County; Irwin Township; Harrisville, Pennsylvania